Monday, June 23, 2014

Welcome! Our New Contributor Becca!








My husband and I always wanted a big family, so three years ago when we found out we were expecting

baby number seven, we were ecstatic. As the months went on, things began to change and I wasn’t as

excited about the pregnancy as I had been before. I was homeschooling our other children and life

began to feel like one big obstacle to overcome. Four months later I found myself in our local Emergency

Room beginning to speak to a social worker because I was feeling suicidal.






Upon release I was hooked up with a pretty good treatment team and the psychiatrist I was set up with

determined that I was suffering with Neonatal Bipolar Disorder. This diagnosis made sense as there

were many times in my past that I felt the manic highs of Bipolar, I just didn’t know what they were. I

only sought professional help when I was experiencing depression and therefore the Bipolar diagnosis

had been missed.


I immediately set out researching as much as I could about Bipolar Disorder. I wanted to be armed

with the information that was available to me so that I had some way to fight this illness. Next I began

connecting with others who also had been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. My main focus though was

to find parents who were coping with Bipolar and hear their stories. Upon doing a google search for

bipolar parenting or pregnant and bipolar, I came up with nothing.


It was then that I started the website http://rebeccamoorestorms.com/. I realized that I was a Bipolar

parent long before I had ever been diagnosed. It was just a matter of others finding me and connecting

with me. Before long, my blog had taken off and I was connecting with people from around the world.

A year after being diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder I wrote a book called Moorestorms A Guide For

The Bipolar Mother, which soon will be published through Praeclarus Press. I wanted to reach out to

mother’s in particular and let them know that they were not alone. That I too suffer from the same

illness as them. I wanted to offer them hope, encouragement and support along with tips that could

possibly help them through the hardest times that Bipolar sometimes throws at us.


Just recently I started a new project called http://bipolparentingproject.com. Here I have many

contributors sharing their stories of what it is like to be a Bipolar Parent. It is the sister site to http://

rebeccamoorestorms.com/ and we offer resources, hope, encouragement and comfort. Our mission

is to reach out to other parents and help them learn how to cope with their illness, whether they have

Bipolar Disorder or another mental illness.


Being a Bipolar Mother has by far been the hardest job I have ever had. But it has also been the most

rewarding and I feel blessed that I am able to reach out to others and help them during their times of

trouble.



Until next time...

Becca

http://bipolparentingproject.com



Don't Forget to Share and Subscribe!

No comments:

Post a Comment